Sunday, February 8, 2009

~ている pair o' ducks

So you probably know that ~ている is used as the progressive:

このとっても面白くて教育的なブログを読んでいる。 I'm reading this very interesting and educational blog.

でもやっぱり何も習っていない。 But as expected I'm not learning anything.

(I need to ask Makiko if you can use なんとなく with a negative and then I could say, "But somehow, I'm not learning anything." I imagine this sentence also holds true, though ;D, first example sentence withstanding, hurr.)

Anyways, to make a point, yes, progressive, ~ing.

Want to know what ELSE you can use it for? The state after an action has occurred:

普通の男と結婚している。 I'm married to a normal man. (But only for the sake of example ;D)

映画が始まっている。 The movie has started.

So maybe you can already tell what the paradox is, but let's use a new example:

羽が落ちている。

What does that mean? Is it "The feather is falling" or "The feather has fallen"?

GOOD QUESTION! And one my current workbook has not posed, hence confusion. Context really is everything in Japanese.

No comments: