Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dates and Classes

I had no idea you could write 1985年 (千九百八十五年)as 一九八五年.

Literally, no idea. How come I haven't come across this before? Was I just not paying attention? Maybe it was rash to be a skeptic of this kanji textbook (Bojinsha's Basic Kanji Book) that we are using for class.

Yes, I tested into Intermediate 4 and Kanji 2, so I did buy MORE textbooks. Honestly, though, Situational Functional Japanese seems pretty great now that I'm spending some time looking at it. Doesn't look like they baby you on the kanji front, either. Going to try and get through at least some of the material they covered in the previous class (the stuff contained in the books I bought, since we are starting part-way through each of them) but I don't think I'll get to it all.

I'm really strong in grammar, but weak in kanji/vocab, it seems. This makes me want to just start over every time I study, but I can't do that...have to press forward. I'm really excited to have a completely objective idea of how I'm doing (the teacher's). Just gotta keep trying.

No comments: