Monday, November 23, 2009

An actual study session -- wao!

Check it out—I studied for about two hours tonight. Here is what I did:

Reviewed Unit 1 of the Shadowing book

There are ten lessons with ten SHORT dialogues. That sounds like a ton, but Unit 1 is the most basic stuff. Like I said, I'm pretty happy just confirming the patterns I know, right now. Plus there are some thing that don't exactly roll of the tongue and this is a great way to drill them. 失礼します will never be easy to say : / お先に失礼します。It's too bad, because this is one thing you will say ALL THE TIME if you work in Japan. It's really too bad that the bar to fluency is set so high right off the bat. しつれい is just...difficult as hell. HELL.

That and it's nice to have this book really moving your tongue. Some listening activities are pretty slowly spoken, but this CD just rambles right along, so you have to keep up. Numbers are the other hardest thing. 一泊350円です。That's a pretty expensive movie rental!

Got all of lesson 1 Kanji in Context must-learn vocab into Anki and gave it a spin

I did some of this over the weekend, but now all 26 of the easiest kanji in the universe* are in there. It seems there is almost more vocab you didn't know—八百屋, I had no idea, really— plus, of course, tons of vocab that will be nice to see to remind you that you do indeed know Japanese. The plan with this is to do a chapter a week. Once we get through the stuff they assume you know already (which I may...not...anymore) it evens out to about 10 kanji per chapter, which should be feasible as far as learning new things goes, which makes me excited.

*I know, I know. AGAIN? Haven't you been studying these for about 10 years now? (Yes.) It's not like I forgot them all, I know them. How many times do you have to lay the foundations? (Over and over?) I have to justify this somehow in a way better than a personality flaw (yeah, you really do) but I can say that the examples sentences are...really great. Just from the first lesson, I feel like I'm reading at my level in real things that might actually be said. I LIKE the context. I need the context. The context will help me learn. Putting my kanji in it!

Was indecisive about how to proceed as far as grammar goes

I'm eager to get into the blue 日本語ドリル book from The Japan Times, and I think that will do me ok. I'm a little nervous about not having answers available. I guess that is the one nice thing about 文法が弱いあなたへ.

Incidentally, kanji holds you back a lot. This is what the Kanji in Context intro was getting at with the # "sharply rises" thing, but man, it really does. It's very frustrating, esp if you can't keep the stuff you learned already in your head. Gonna try hard.

Gonna wait on the orange vocab book until the blue one is done

I had originally thought of studying these both together, but I think I will be getting as much vocab as I can handle out of the kanji study and just...song lyrics, etc. Randomness. I'm sure there will be vocab to learn in the blue book, too, since I am still so much a nubberduckie.

敬語の金曜日

This seems like a plan and a half, if I can actually find some time. I tend to go out on Fridays (to NEW PEOPLE), so it could be tricky to fit in depending on the timing of whatever I am doing. It can always spill over to Saturday, I guess ;) Actually, I get to go to work later on Friday, so maybe I can study in the morning. That seems ideal.

Casual Listening

As opposed to the hard-working Shadowing stuff, I'm going to use the 50 Days book to just relax a bit. I won't worry about understanding/remembering every word. I'll just chilllllll. Later I can go back and see how much more I understand, maybe. And the readings should be easier once I recollect some kanji.

So the short view of a week is:
Daily Shadowing (Shadowing!)
Weekly Kanji Lesson* (Anki, Kanji in Context Workbook)
Weekly Grammar Lesson (Blue book, with some Tae Kim as necessary) +
Daily Casual Listening (50 Days)
Friday Keigo (日本語の敬語トレーニング, 敬語すらすらBOOK)
Stress-free Saturday (Last Saturday of the month = cooking and conversation clubs.)
Sunday Lyrics (There are so many more songs to sing!)

*spread out over the week
+ Followed by Weekly Vocab Lesson (Orange book...although I half wonder if I should study some basic lists first)

I can't really come up with a more gorgeous study schedule than that. Sticking to it is the trouble, right? Maybe I can't study two hours every night, but if I can do at least one, that is something.

No comments: